- "Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable when clients bring up spiritual or religious issues?"
- "Do you wonder how to work effectively with spiritual/religious issues while not allowing your own beliefs to influence the client?"
- "Does your not-so-positive personal experience with religion cause you to shy away from exploring how various religious values relate to the counseling process?"
NJASERVIC is a group of professional counselors and NJCA members who believe spiritual, ethical, and religious values are fundamental to the overall growth and development of the person. Following are the main goals of NJASERVIC:
- Creating an empowering and safe environment for counselors to explore their own beliefs, values, attitudes, and biases related to religion and/or spirituality to facilitate self-awareness.
- Generating awareness through training and education on how to integrate spiritual and/or religious values into counseling.
Our purpose is to create a local group to further this mission and to offer a place of connection for like-minded (spirited) clinicians. The benefits of being a part of this group include a safe place to express and explore your own spiritual, ethical, and or religious values as they pertain to serving your clients; exploring and understanding the ways to integrate spirituality/religious values in your practice; and disseminating this concept with other mental health professional via writing articles, making presentations, and sharing your personal clinical success stories. Let's talk about religion and spirituality at a personal and professional level. This aspect of human life cannot be ignored specifically when it can be a strong and an important part of the healing process. Let's open up the dialogue and bring awareness to this subject.